New times ask for new products. How can we implement better protection against viruses in our materials? How can we make sure furniture pieces have a longer life?
In times like these, we feel there is a need for products that can protect us. A product that can be used for multiple branches such as work environments, hospitals and restaurants. Every day we use seating furniture. We dine with them, work, and relax on them. The use of these furniture pieces can ware out upholstery while leaving the core of the chair or couch itself intact.
Therefore, we like to look into ways to revitalise chairs, couches and other upholstered furniture utilising cloth or covers to spruce up, protect and make their reuse easier, starting with the office chair.
ARE YOU UP FOR A CHALLENGE? REGISTER YOUR IDEA BEFORE 22-06-2020
D/DOCK and FURNIFY would love to work with you. You are a fashion or textile designer and you have a great idea to make a product that simultaneously reduces waste and protects the user, whilst looking vibrant and new.
The scope and deliverables include the following:
- A small research about antibacterial fabrics and reusable materials (yarn for example). This
should refer to the choice of material of the prototype.
- A design sketch of the product
- A prototype of the product
- Fabric needs to be washable
- Fabric needs to be sustainable (think reused yarns)
- Fabric needs to comply at minimum with EU-Ecolabel
- Fabric needs to partially protect from bacteria and viruses
- Easy to apply and remove
- Can be applied to an office chair. Preferably on a Ahrend or Herman Miller chair
In the future this can lead to other furniture pieces.
- Possibility to provide your own fabric but is not within the main criteria. A permanent cover is more what we are looking for
- Modern design
- Aesthetically pleasing and easy to adapt to other concepts
- Inspiration on YouTube
Timeline and budget
As multiple parties have been approached for this contest, we would like to see it as a powerpitch.
We aim to have the first prototype within 1 month.
Your presentation on the 1st of July must contain:
- Introduction of yourself and your previous work
- Small research about fabrics that can be used
- Detailed sketch of the product (multiple sketches and views)
- Max. 20 min of presentation time
- Due to corona-rules your idea can be presented through videocall or at our office (where we create enough distance with a small amount of people)
If you are the winner of the presentation we would like to offer you €250,-. After you are selected, you’ll work closely with our team on the prototype. Upon completion of the end product, you’ll be given another €250. Other benefits include our guidance through the prototype process and a good reference in your portfolio.
If and when the product is brought to production, all rights are with D/DOCK but we will respect the designer to our upmost abilities.
If you’ve any questions or would like to register for the challenge, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 (0)20 420 13 32